Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Beginnings & The Buckeye Trail

July 3, 2006 (Monday)

Training & Adventure: I was back on the mtn-bike today and did a 13.6 mile mountain bike ride (roads) in 12.4 mph and 1 hour 15 min. Five of these cycling miles was on the Buckeye Trail extending my coverage to 33.5 miles to date. It was HOT (92 degrees) today.

July 2, 2006 (Sunday)

Training & Adventure: Got back on the B.Trail today. Doreen is continuing to increase her hiking in preparation for a trip we're planning on July 24th to Hocking Hills. She and I did a 3 mile hike today going south on the trail this time, which took us down Bridgewater Rd. She helped me extend the trail 1.3 miles southwest and increase the total trail miles to 28.5 miles covered.

July 1, 2006 (Saturday)

Trainin & Adventure: Marc Hoffman and I took a mini-adventure today which took about 3 hours. We mtn-biked 6.5 miles from Taylorsville State Route #40 to Canal Park in Tipp. Then we kayaked back south to our starting point, which was about a 7 mile kayak on the Miami River (slow water, but fun). Ended the trek with a half mile run from river to van. Our total mileage was 14 miles of bike-river-short run. Marc did great!

June 30, 2006 (Friday)

Training & Adventure: I took Doreen on a hike on the BT today. We started at my last waypoint. When we finished we hiked 3.4 miles and a new waypoint was established northwest of Piqua at Linear Park just off State Route #36. I've now covered 27.2 miles of the Buckeye Trail.

June 29, 2006 (Thursday)

Training & Adventure: Was on the Buckeye Trail for a 4th day in a row. I biked 19.5 miles total with 9.75 miles of the ride taking me to just south of the center of Piqua. I've now covered 25.25 miles of the Buckeye Trail.

June 28, 2006 (Wednesday)

Training & Adventure: I continued a 3rd day on the BT, only today I elected to mountain bike this portion since the majority of the trail is on road or bike path. I biked 15 miles today in an 1 hour - 15 min which is about 12 mph (not bad for a mtn-bike). My trip today took me 5 more mile northwest on the BT extending me to the middle of Troy on the Miami River bank.

June 27, 2006 (Tuesday)

Training & Adventure: I hiked for a 2nd day on Buckeye Trail. Although I hiked 6.8 miles today, only half of that extended further north on the trail since I have to go out and back. Essentially, doing it this way covers the trail twice, but that's okay. I've now covered 6.4 miles of the Buckeye Trail and have covered from Taylorsville to east of Tipp City.

The piture here is a canal boat in Tipp City on the Buckeye Trail.

June 26, 2006 (Monday)

I started a list of the "Top 100" things I would like to do (which I may share later) and Completing the Buckeye Trail is one of them. From now on, I'll refer to this as Top 100 - Buckeye Trail when I have accomplished any of the route. The trail is 1200 to 1300 miles (depending on what resource you're reading), and a portion of it local. When I refer to "completing the trail", I mean by foot or bike.

Training & Adventure: I hiked 3 miles of the Buckeye Trail today. It took me an hour, so I seem to average about 3 miles and hour when hiking "easy terrain". I'm head north from Taylorsville Dam west parking lot.



No comments: